Thursday 21 June 2007

My Lord Bishop

'Top of the morning'... I can still hear him calling out loudly from the balcony at Ebenezer Lodge to the man across the road. That usually is the call u here every morning till about mid day. My earliest memories of this man was when I was about 3 or 4 years old. I remember him coming around to see my broda and I at our Grandma's place. He was always a delight to be with. He would bring us candies and fruits and all sorts. I horned my letter writing skills while writing him letter whenever someone was travelling and would be seeing him. he always replied my letters and he would write about the highlights of his life in the village after retirement.

My Lord Bishop was a man of many parts and he meant different things to different people. He however was well loved. To his children, he was a very very strict father whose love for them knew no bounds. he was selfless in giving and was always ready to listen and help out. To the church were he spend most of his life serving he was a servant indeed and an instrument of truth reconciliation. To the members of the family at large he was a unifying force, a stabilising factor, a rallying point, the bond of unity. To all his son in laws he was a father and a friend, a mentor and a brother beyond measure. To his grandchildren he was an epitome of love, a patriarch to be proud of, a legend and a wonder. To his great grandchildren who yet do not understand why his head was bald, the tales of his glorious live they will all hear and wonder what manner of man he was.

I was asked to write a tribute for you as part of the programme for your burial but i just couldn't bring myself to write it. I guess I'm writing it now and posting it on this blog for the whole world to see. one of your greatest wish in life was to see me get called to bar. Thank God you lived long enough to see it happen. I remember you never called me by my name ever since the minute I got into Uni to study Law. you referred to me as 'My learned Granddaughter' and I in turn will call you 'My Beloved Grandpa' and that was what you were 'Beloved'. We all loved you. I remember also when I had my first son your 1st great grand child. you were beyond yourself with joy telling all who cared to listen that the Good Lord has indeed showed you grace and mercies for allowing you to see the birth of the boy. Indeed you were ready to meet your Lord and Saviour after you held the boy in your hands and prayed. You lived a fulfilled life for that and other mercies I praise God.

Even as we beginning the ceremonies tomorrow I pray that you will be with us in spirit that your memory will continue to grow in our hearts. Amen

3 comments:

BlogVille Idol said...

BLOGVILLE IDOL HAS A WINNER GO TO OUR PAGE AND SEE WHO IT IS...PLS DROP US A COMMENT TANX!TANX FOR UR SUPPORt THRU OUT THE SHOW......BLOGVILLE IDOL IS OFFICIALLY OVER

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

welcome to blogging..

Nonesuch said...

@Nyemoni Thanks